Friday, February 8, 2019

2005 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Significant Trips Red Sox Triple Relic w/ Rice & Lynn #04/10 (Fred Lynn bat relic MISSING)

Sports fans a card this weird does not come along too often.  The pud knocker who listed this on eBay didn't bother to put the "missing/damaged/error/altered" notification in the title of the auction, but buried down in the full description which these days might as well not exist on eBay as it's nearly impossible to notice.  Of course, I'm doing a lot of eBay on the phone so from a distance the missing bat piece at a quick glance just looks like an all-white jersey relic, just like the one in the lower-right.  Nothing in the description, so I put in a low bid and won it.  Only to receive the card in the mail and notice the error.  I went back to eBay and found the notification in the full description buried underneath.  Hem, haw....decided to keep it because I agree with the seller's logic.  From the front of the card I immediately thought someone (a Fred Lynn fan) tore out the bat relic and used it in a custom card or some other nefarious activity.  However, when you flip the card over, there is a tight, clean, smooth surface all the way across.  I also can't notice any tearing or any sign that it was removed through the front.  So the buyer posted that he believes it's a factory error.  It's either that or somebody was DAMNED good at removing it.  Either way, that makes it an interesting card to me.  And the fact that at numbered to 10 and from all the way back in 2005, I've never even seen one of these before.  With only 9 others in existence there's a pretty decent chance I'll never see another one.  So, it's in the collection....albeit with the words MISSING in my title in all caps :)


No comments:

Post a Comment